Groundbreaking for Ingham County Animal Control’s new shelter is just around the corner! Now is a critical time to make sure the facility will have everything needed for the animals and the community. Although the new shelter is primarily funded by the Animal Control Millage that Ingham County voters overwhelmingly approved in 2016, the project has always included a private funding component to pay for equipment not funded by the millage. With construction beginning in May and completion of the project expected in less than a year, fundraising is in high gear!
The Ingham County Animal Shelter Fund (ASF) has a fundraising goal of $300,000 to contribute toward the new shelter. ASF has been quietly raising money for the project for several years. On March 24, 2018, ASF kicked off the public – and final – phase of the capital campaign. ASF proudly announced that the $125,000 mark of the campaign has been reached!
We are asking the community to help in getting the rest of the way to our goal of $300,000 to ensure the best shelter for the animals and people of Ingham County.
Private donations to the Animal Shelter Fund will go primarily towards enhancing medical facilities in the new shelter; funding surgical and exam lights, anesthesia equipment, x-ray facilities and other veterinary equipment to enhance the Shelter’s ability to provide high quality medical care for the animals. If enough money is raised, funds could also go towards other features including installing dog friendly artificial turf in some outdoor yards and purchasing new tables and chairs for the shelter’s community rooms. Grant money will supplement donations towards this equipment.
The new shelter will be located near the current ICAC facility at the north end of the Ingham County Sheriff/County Justice Complex near the 55th District Court. At approximately 16,000 square feet, the new building will be roughly one and a half times the size of the current shelter. Besides being larger and having increased animal capacity, the new shelter will have a number of features that will make it healthier for animals, more user friendly for County residents and more efficient for staff.
- Separate air handling for all animal areas to minimize spread of disease and odor and allow temperature settings appropriate for species, age and health status of animals
- Indoor/outdoor kennels for many adoptable dogs. Divided kennels for safe handling of dangerous dogs and small dog housing separate from large dogs
- Spacious cat “condos” with built in resting benches and quiet close doors
- An outdoor “catio” where adoptable cats can safely get out for fresh air and sunshine
- Three building entrances and lobbies designated for adoptions, lost and found and animal drop offs, and community and education programs
- Secure evidence storage and interview room for use by Animal Control Officers
- Indoor after-hours animal drop off accessible to local law enforcement agencies
- Improved facilities for shelter volunteers
The Animal Control Department and Animal Shelter Fund thank the citizens of Ingham County for their great support including passing the animal control millage and donations already made to the project. We hope and encourage local animal lovers to contribute now during this last and critically important fund drive. Donations over $500 will be acknowledged in the new shelter.
To donate to the new Ingham County Animal Shelter, use the form at the bottom of this page or contact ICACS at (517) 676-8370. For questions about the new shelter project, please contact shelter director, John Dinon, at (517)-676-8362.
Ingham County Animal Control, The Animal Shelter Fund and – most importantly – the animals thank you for your generous support of the new animal shelter!
Total Funds Raised to Date: $127,000/$300,000
Donated funds will go towards purchasing:
- x-ray equipment
- 2 Surgery lights
- 1 exam room light
- 1 Surgery table (v-top electric lift)
- 1 Anesthesia machine
- Medical gas/scavenger system
- Tables and chairs for community room
- Laundry/food delivery carts
- Display monitor for lobby
- 4 under counter refrigerators