Policies and Procedures for Fundraising Events
The Ingham County Animal Shelter Fund (ICASF) welcomes and encourages businesses, organizations, clubs, and individuals to conduct fund raising activities on behalf of ICASF. We are a private 501(c) (3) non-profit organization whose purpose is to support the financial needs of the homeless animals of Ingham County. We are pleased that you want to support us in our effort to raise funds to establish a new building for the shelter and to continue to fund established, vital programs.
Fundraising on Behalf of ICASF
When fundraising activities or solicitations use ICASF’s name, the IRS views the fundraiser as being conducted by ICASF. In this case, ICASF is legally responsible for the fundraising activity, and it, as well as the donor, can face serious penalties if careful procedures are not followed. The following guidelines are provided to protect donors and ICASF from incurring such penalties.
1. Written Approval: All fund raising activities that support ICASF require prior, written approval from the ICASF Board. A written proposal outlining the efforts to raise money for ICAS must be submitted to ICASF at least 60 days prior to the event. Approval or denial shall be granted in a timely manner upon receipt of the following:
- Event Description – describe the event or other effort to raise money for the fund. Briefly outline the fundraising goal, the activities of the event, your experience in conducting this type of event, and efforts to be used to make the event a success.
- Contact Person – Provide the name of the person that will serve as the main source of communication between ICASF and the fundraising group. Include their name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- Budget – State the estimated budget for the fundraiser. This should include projected revenue and expenses.
2. Name/Logo Usage: The use of the ICASF name and logo by a business, organization, club, or individual for any fund raising activity on ICASF’s behalf is subject to pre-approval by the ICASF Board of Directors. To be approved for a fundraiser under the ICASF name, the individual or group must agree to provide a sample of all printed and promotional material to the Board prior to its release to the public. ICASF reserves the right to exercise discretion when approving applications and related materials for fundraising events. Solicitation/promotional materials must disclose ICASF’s name and address and must clearly state that funds are being raised “on behalf of”, rather than “by”, Ingham County Animal Shelter Fund.
3. Insurance: Fundraising efforts or events connected with ICASF may require proof of insurance for liability purposes. ICASF will not secure a certificate of insurance. It is the responsibility of the fundraising event organizer to obtain the appropriate insurance for the event. Costs relating to obtaining insurance is the responsibility of the fundraising event organizer/group but can be considered an event expense. When obtaining separate liability insurance, ICASF must be named as an additional insured on the policy and a copy must be provided to the Board prior to the event.
4. Permits, Licenses, etc.: The fundraising event organizer is responsible for obtaining all required permits, licenses, and/or approvals as well as compliance with all laws related to the effort or event. Costs relating to permits, licenses, etc. is the responsibility of the fundraising event organizer/group but can be considered an event expense.
5. Proceeds: To comply with Internal Revenue Service requirements, the method through which a donation is to be generated must be clearly stated in the promotional material for the fundraising event. Example: “10% of all proceeds will be donated…; $1.00 from each book sold will be donated…etc.”. Note the following:
- There is no charitable deduction for items purchased at or below value at an auction; ICASF does not send acknowledgment letters for these contributions. For items donated for an auction, ICASF will provide a letter to the donor with a description of the item but without a dollar value.
- Contributions made by check at any fundraising event on behalf of ICASF should be made payable to ICASF or Ingham County Animal Shelter Fund.
Grant applications to other foundations and funding sources are considered fundraising activities and are submitted under the auspices of ICASF. They must be reviewed, approved, and accompanied by a cover letter signed by a Board member. 501(c) (3) status will be submitted by ICASF directly to the requesting foundation.
6. Expenses: The fundraising group or individuals are responsible for all expenses of its fundraiser and will maintain appropriate financial controls and records related to fundraising events.
ICASF will directly pay all pre-approved expenses associated with fundraising activities. These invoices should be submitted to ICASF Board within five business days following a fundraising activity’s conclusion.
In no event will ICASF reimburse an individual for an expense he or she paid directly to a vendor without prior approval.
Individuals or groups who undertake a fundraiser are responsible for all financial losses incurred by the event. ICASF assumes no responsibility for any financial loss.
The collection of all money (donations, sponsorships, etc.) is the responsibility of the fundraising individual or group. ICASF will not assume any responsibility for collection of donations following a fundraising event.
Proceeds can be submitted to ICASF as frequently as needed prior to an event, along with an itemized list of gift amount by donor and detailed donor records including each donor’s name and address.
In-kind gifts will be acknowledged when the donor’s name, address, and description of gift are submitted. An invoice or statement listing the dollar value of the in-kind gift is also required.
ICASF provides appropriate acknowledgement to donors so that they may claim a tax deduction. The following information will assist the Board in issuing an accurate and timely acknowledgement letter to each donor:
- The donor’s complete name and full address
- The date received and the amount of the contribution.
- Any goods or services the donor received in exchange for their gift and the estimated value.
Dual Beneficiaries: Prior approval by ICASF is required when an event will benefit other non-profit groups in addition to ICASF. This would include other 501 (c) (3) organizations and non 501 (c) (3) purposes.
We are grateful that you have selected the Ingham County Animal Shelter Fund as the recipient of your fundraising activity. Your successful fundraiser will help ensure that ICASF can continue its mission to raise funds to establish a new building for the shelter and to continue to fund established, vital programs. If you have any questions as you plan your event, please contact ICASF by email at email@example.com.
Ingham County Animal Shelter Fund Board
P.O. Box 238
Mason, MI 48854